Washington Oregon California Nevada Utah Idaho Montana Wyoming Colorado Arizona New Mexico North Dakota South Dakota Nebraska Oklahoma Minnesota Iowa Kansas Missouri Arkansas Texas Louisiana Mississippi Alabama Tennessee Kentucky Illinois Wisconsin Michigan Indiana Ohio Florida Georgia South Carolina North Carolina Virginia West Virginia Maryland Delaware Pennsylvania New Jersey New York Connecticut Massachussetts Vermont New Hampshire Maine New Hampshire Vermont Massachussetts Rhode Island Connecticut New Jersey Maryland Delaware Washington DC Alaska Hawaii Guam Puerto Rico Who Responds? - National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA)
National Center on Elder Abuse
Home|About NCEA|Site Map|Search|Newsroom|Contact Us|Privacy Policy

Find Help

Frequently Asked Questions
»The Basics
»Elder Abuse Prevalence and Incidence
»Who Responds?
»If You're a Caregiver
»Nursing Home Abuse

Laws Related to Elder Abuse

Statistics & Research

Community Outreach & Education

Search the Promising Practices Database

The Community Response

If You Need Help

Adult Protective Services

Adult Protective Services (APS) is the principal public agency responsible both for investigating reported cases of elder and vulnerable adult abuse and for providing victims with treatment and protective services.

Although most APS agencies also handle adult abuse cases (serving clients between 18 and 59 years of age), nearly 70 percent of their caseloads involve elder abuse.

Usually, the APS Unit, Area Agency on Aging, or County Department of Social Services is designated as the agency to receive and investigate allegations of elder abuse and neglect. If the investigators find abuse or neglect, they arrange for services to help protect the victim.

Many other agencies (and nonprofit organizations) are also actively working to protect vulnerable elders. Examples:

  • State agency on aging
  • Law enforcement agency (local police, sheriff's office, district attorney, the court system)
  • Medical examiner/coroner's office
  • Hospitals and medical clinics
  • State long-term care ombudsman's office
  • Public health agency
  • Area agency on aging
  • Mental health agency
  • Facility licensing/certification agency

Learn More . . .

Law Enforcement

Local police, sheriffs, and prosecuting attorneys may investigate and prosecute abuse, particularly in cases involving sexual abuse or assault. In states whose statutes make elder abuse a crime, there may be a requirement to report suspected abuse to a law enforcement agency.

Long Term Care (LTC) Ombudsman Services

State LTC ombudsman programs investigate and resolve nursing home complaints, and in some areas, complaints about board and care facilities and professional home care providers. If you are concerned about abuses, check with your State Unit on Aging or Area Agency on Aging to see if the LTC ombudsman program in your area can help.

Information and Referral (I & R)

Every Area Agency on Aging operates an I & R line that can refer people to a wide range of services for people 60 and older. Trained information operators and can be particularly helpful in finding services that can help prevent abuse and neglect.

National and State Information

Family members who live in different cities or states can call a nationwide toll-free Eldercare Locator number (1-800-677-1116) to find support and resources that can help. On the web at www.eldercare.gov. In addition, some states have established a statewide toll-free number to provide centralized aging services information for residents of their states.

Medicaid Fraud and Abuse

Every State Attorney General's Office is required by federal law to have a State Medicaid Fraud Control Unit to investigate and prosecute Medicaid provider fraud and patient abuse or neglect in healthcare programs that participate in Medicaid, including home health care. Information on how you can report fraud and who you should contact can be found at Reporting Fraud and Abuse in Your State.

Last Updated: October 2, 2006  Top


NCEA Events and Webcasts

Clearinghouse on Abuse and Neglect of the Elderly (CANE)

Training Library for APS and Elder Abuse

Elder Abuse Listserve


Links & Directories

Calendar of Conferences


Print This Page
Home|About NCEA|Site Map|Search|Newsroom|Contact Us|Privacy Policy
National Center on Elder Abuse · 1201 15th Street, N.W., Suite 350 · Washington, DC 20005-2842
(202) 898-2586 · Fax: (202) 898-2583 · Email: ncea@nasua.org
Contact the webmaster